Remember back when you had to travel from insurer to insurer or spend hours on the telephone ringing up possible insurers to find the best deal on car insurance? Who actually has the extra time anymore to run all over town? Besides, the odds aren’t in your favor that you actually found the best deal, anyhow. That’s why so many of us are now shopping on the World Wide Web for those tough to find items that require comparison shopping, with insurance being at the top of the list. Here’s a quick and easy guide to getting car insurance in the UK.
1. Service is a top priority. What good does saving a few pounds do for anyone if your claim is constantly placed at the back of the pile, your telephone messages go unreturned, and you’re inconvenienced for weeks on end? These things are called accidents are for a reason, and the entire scenario can be exhausting enough without your insurer dragging their feet at every possible avenue. So before you agree to the terms and conditions of an insurer, be sure to check their customer satisfaction ratings and for any complaints filed.
2. Price is another important point to consider. And the best way to get the best price is by comparison shopping. Be sure to inform any potential insurer that you will be getting multiple quotes from other insurers. This will help to keep them at the top of their game and at the bottom of their price.
3. Have your VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) ready. Just because you’re driving a Honda Civic, it doesn’t mean that you’ll be paying the same rate as someone else with a Honda Civic, even if your driving records are exactly the same. Your auto might have anti-lock brakes and an anti-theft device of sorts, while the other might have an expensive sound system. All of these things will have an effect your individual quote and final price.
4. Don’t be afraid to say NO! If you don’t need the extra coverage for compact discs, don’t buy it- no matter how much the insurer tells you that it’s a good idea to have. You’ll need basic collision to protect your car, comprehensive to protect others, and a few other tidbits depending on your individual situation. For instance, perhaps your auto has a loan from the bank attached to it. In this case, you are technically not the owner of the car–the bank is, and they can demand as much insurance coverage as they’d like on their investment.
5. Just because something is easy, it doesn’t mean it’s bad. There are some highly qualified websites out there on the Internet who will do all of the comparison-shopping for you. Such a service is free, as you, the insured, do not pay for this service; the insurance company you choose picks up the bill.